Friday, November 28, 2008

Perfect Weather - Imperfect Fit

Here's one of my favourite pics of Spirit. Every once in a while I get that 'ole photography bug. Anways, I took this one a couple of years ago, so I think it's about time I got back 'out there'. I have always thought that he looks vaguely elephant-ish in this shot.
A couple of days ago, I tried my daughter's western saddle on Spirit. He was such a good boy as I was leading him around, stopping, starting, turning. We are really building that dance, that side by side, you-stop-I-stop in tune with each-other-ness. I LOVE IT.
Anyways, I rode over to a friend's house across the street and she noted that the saddle was too tight in the withers, etc. Another friend was passing by on her motorized scooter, so I got off Spirit and walked with her. She was walking her dog and the long lead kept zinging back and forth across the road. Spirit balked one time and I said, 'nu-uh buddy, if I say it's okay, how 'bout you give it a try'. So, then I sniffed it and blew and he sniffed it and blew. And off we went with nary a moment of trouble. Eventually walked home in the darkness. Crisp, clear, and not one freaky moment from the amazing-Spirit-dude (or from me either LOL). Geez, just reread what I wrote and what we were doing doesn't really translate easily to the page. So, dear reader, you are going to have to stretch yourself past the goofiness of it all and get on up and ride on down the road with me :) The next day, I tried on a friend's western saddle (she has a Canadian) and it was too wide in the withers. As soon as the cinch was tightened and I sat in the saddle, you could see it poke behind his sholder. Once again, Spirit was the height of patience with all the poking, prodding and leading about.

No comments: