Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fall Schooling Ride #2


Been wanting to create a blog for a while now and my need to school Spirit (the beauty-boy at the right) and as well, the challenges of not being able to have weekly Herd Watch 'meetings' with my riding buddies (due to Fall and Winter weather and short days) have melded into the creation this blog. Don't know if I can keep it up but I thought I'd give it a try.
Anways for those of you who don't know, I have decided to work with Spirit on a couple of things this Fall.
One. His herd-bound-ness during my attempts to ride with just him and I. Apparently, he misses his herd-of-one Taz. It's such a struggle to get him going. Anyways, this will include lots of groundwork, which I love, and learning how to ground drive, from my friend, Shauna. I think I'll love that too.
Two. His occasional hey-if-you-all-are-running-away-from-the-cougars-then-I-should-too (buck&freak) on trail rides. Did I mention, his impeccable timing in doing this on muddy, rocky hillsides. This is soooo not fun. But what is fun, is that my daughter, Siggy, offered to come on schooling rides with me and we had our second one today. Kept to a walk and a trot. She would ride away, out of sight, going longer and longer each time and Spirit and I stood, and walked, and doubled (ala Sally Twelveponies) and rode away from Taz. We did this about ten times in the 'back 40' where the problems have occurred. He was wonderful. Only one freaky moment and that was dealt with by doubling. Anyways, then we proceeded to have a wonderful Fall ride. Crisp, sunny, all the shades of orange and brown that you could ever want. Coming home with clothes smelling as fresh as they ever could. Yummy!

No comments: